To sum the info below:
Microsoft and Apple do not play well together. Microsoft wants to take control and so does Apple. From OSX 10.8.2 and above, powerpoint presentations tends to freeze. Not really freeze, but remote control and cursor keys stops advancing the slides.
Pairing your remote with your Mac:
- Log in on your Mac as an Admin user.
- Get very close to your Mac (about 3 or 4 inches away).
- Point the remote at the infrared sensor on the front of your Mac.
- Press and hold the Menu and Next/Fast-forward buttons simultaneously on the remote for 5 seconds.
- Your Apple Remote is now paired with your computer. You should see a chain-link style lock appear in the center of your screen for a moment.